There are many cool and useful smart home and non-smart home alarms and systems that you can buy today to add extra security for you and your family. As a bonus, most of these security systems qualify for a smart-home & security homeowners insurance discount if you have them. That is because home insurance companies know the statistics on burglary or water damage reduce significantly when a home has home security systems installed.
Basic Types of Home Security
- Battery Operated Fire Alarm– you have seen these and probably have one. They are cheap but effective. They will beep a loud screeching sound if they detect a fire.
- Battery Operated CO2 Detector Alarm– you have also seen these and might have one. They are cheap and useful. They will beep a loud screeching sound if they detect a CO2 in your home. You should put one in your garage too as car fumes can be dangerous.
- Fire extinguishers– you’ll be surprised to know that there are different grades of fire extinguishers for different types of fires. The fire extinguishing matter they release is tailored to an electrical fire, kitchen grease fire, chimney fires, and many other kinds of fires. Make sure you have the right one. You can get one that handles the most common household fires, so you do not have to buy numerous ones.
Complex Home Security Systems
- Flood Sensor Systems:You can buy flood detection sensors. They are perfect for your basement, near dishwasher or clothes washing machine, or near anything or anyplace in your home that you have frequent flooding. When ADT Flood Systems are triggered, they will text your smartphone, remotely unlock your alarmed doors so a repair crew can get in, and live-stream the water damage so you can check on it if you are away from home.
- Intrusion and Burglar Alarm Systems: You’ve probably heard of Ring, a hot new technology, or ADT, a traditional alarm system. Both detect intruders who enter your home and immediately signal your local fire or police department. These local alarm systems include motion detectors, video cameras, glass-breaking detection, and sometimes fire and CO2 detection.
- Fire Alarm Systems: Your ADT system might also have a fire alarm system built into it. If not, other systems detect fires, alert you via loud sounds at home, text or call you, and ring the fire department. You can even get a fire sprinkler system, and it will trigger-on if a fire is detected.
Home Insurance Discounts for Home Security Systems
Many insurers offer homeowners insurance discounts if you have installed one or more types of home security systems in your home. Homeowners insurance discounts are set up as credits. You get a certain number of credits based on the type of product you have. For example, there is a smaller credit for a battery-operated fire detector vs a local fire alarm system. But, having both systems will qualify you for both credit amounts.
You can earn up to 25% off home insurance with home security systems installed.