The International Cycling Union on Wednesday supported Nacer Bouhanni, who announced earlier this week that he was harassed with racist insults on social networks.
Very touched, Nacer Bouhanni who revealed to be the victim of racist insults on social networks decided not to take the start of the Scheldt GP on Wednesday, said his team, Arkea-Samsic, on Twitter (“Following the events recently, Nacer Bouhanni is not in full capacity to take the start of the Grand Prix de l’Escaut ”).
The International Cycling Union has, this Wednesday, condemned “very strongly the racist attacks” suffered by the former champion of France, following his downgrading for a dangerous sprint on March 28 in Cholet-Pays de la Loire. “Nothing justifies the insults”, she added about Bouhanni, “whatever the seriousness of the fault committed by the French rider”. The UCI also recalled having seized its disciplinary commission and requested sanctions against the sprinter of the Arkea-Samsic team. Before “reaffirming its unreserved commitment to fight against any form of discrimination, whatever the reasons. Our Federation, through its statutes, its code of ethics and its various programs, defends and promotes the principles of inclusion and respect for others. ”
“It’s been eight days that I have received hundreds of messages, it turns to harassment,” said Bouhanni, who announced Monday his intention to file a complaint. The Briton Jake Stewart, pressed against the barriers by the French at the arrival of Cholet, was also indignant: “We will all agree or not on certain things but one thing should not be called into question: c ‘is racism,’ reacted the British rider of the Groupama-FDJ team. “The comments and racism against Nacer this past week are absolutely deplorable. There is no place for racism in this world. To the so-called cycling ‘fans’ making these comments, you are not welcome here, ”Stewart added on his Twitter account.