The January transfer window opens in a matter of days and speculation is heating up about potential deals. Check out the latest gossip below and see all official deals here.
TOP STORY: Messi talks ‘dream’ to play in MLS
Barcelona captain Lionel Messi touched on a myriad of topics in a big interview with La Sexta on Sunday night, but his comments on possibly playing in Major League Soccer one day has piqued fans of the sport in the United States.
When asked about whether he’d play in MLS, Messi said: “I always had the dream of being able to enjoy and have the experience of living in the United States, experience what the league there is like.”
There was plenty of discussion about the Argentina international’s future at Barcelona, with the likes of Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain linked, but he admitted that no decision will be made until June.
“No [I won’t talk with other clubs because] I don’t have anything clear until the end of the year,” Messi added. “I am going to wait for the season to finish. The important thing is to think about the team and to try and win titles, not to get distracted with other issues.
“I don’t know what will happen. I am focused on what we have in front of us over the next six months. It would not be right to tell you what I am going to do after that because even I don’t know.”
City Football Group own NYCFC while David Beckham’s Inter Miami CF has been seemingly linked with every global star out there, so there surely will be intrigue if Messi does ever decide he wants a movestateside.
08.54 GMT: Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher says the Premier League champions must sign a centre-back in the January transfer window.
Joel Matip was the latest Liverpool centre-back to suffer an injury, as he was forced off in the second half of Sunday’s 1-1 draw with West Brom with a groin problem.
With Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez ruled out long-term, hat leaves Rhys Williams, Nathanial Phillips and Sepp van den Berg as the only recognised centre-backs in Jurgen Klopp’s squad to partner Fabinho.
“It is a massive worry but it is not a new worry,” Carragher told Sky Sports. “That is why it is paramount Liverpool sign someone in January. I said that as soon as Virgil van Dijk had his injury. Fabinho has looked like a top-class centre-back, but Matip is just too injury prone. His body just can’t take the rigours of playing in the Premier League week in, week out.
“I still believe Liverpool are the best team in the league even without Van Dijk. The only way they don’t win it is if they have problems at centre-back where Rhys Williams or Nat Phillips have to play for a prolonged period. It’s not a position for young players. At times they will make mistakes because they are young and learning.
“Liverpool need someone there to make sure that they don’t end up with two young lads playing there for five or six weeks if, say, Fabinho went down injured. They have to do something in January.”
08.00 GMT: Manchester City midfielder Phil Foden is growing increasingly frustrated with his lack of Premier League game time, the Daily Telegraph reports.
Foden has made 18 appearances for City this season and has broken into the England team, scoring twice in last month’s 4-0 win over Iceland.
However, the 20-year-old has started just one of City’s last 10 league games, and hasn’t even made it off the bench in three of the last five.
The Telegraph report adds that Foden remains fully committed to the club despite interest from Real Madrid, and he wants to continue his development under Pep Guardiola at the Etihad. Foden’s current contract runs until 2024.
PAPER TALK (by Danny Lewis)
Wijnaldum to reflect on contract offer
Georginio Wijnaldum wants to reflect on a contract offer from Liverpool before making up his mind, reports Fabrizio Romano.
It is suggested that they have made the Netherlands international an offer which he has not yet responded to.
This comes with his current contract reaching its culmination in the summer of 2021, meaning he will be allowed to walk away for free.
Wijnaldum has said he will give Liverpool priority and tell the club before negotiating with any other clubs as a free agent if he chooses to do so.
Gunners see Lamptey as Bellerin replacement
Arsenal see Tariq Lamptey as a replacement for Hector Bellerin if Barcelona sign the Spaniard, suggests the Mirror.
The Gunners are keen to keep hold of Bellerin but are making contingency plans just in case he does return to Barcelona, having come through La Masia.
They see Brighton & Hove Albion’s Lamptey as the best option, having monitored his development closely.
It is suggested within the report that both Bayern Munich and Manchester City are both keeping an eye on him.
– Diego Costa has asked Atletico Madrid to terminate his contract early for family reasons, according to AS. His current contract is due to come to an end in the summer of 2021, but he wants to leave immediately. It is suggested that the 32-year-old already has a number of offers in the case he does depart.
– Sampdoria, Bologna, Torino and Villarreal are all showing an interest in signing Fiorentina striker Patrick Cutrone, reports Calciomercato. The 22-year-old has found game time hard to come by this term, so La Viola are willing to let him move on. They are reportedly looking at Lazio’s Felipe Caicedo or Cagliari’s Leonardo Pavoletti to replace him.
#LIVE #Transfer #Talk #Messi #reveals #dream #playing #MLS #future