Notre Dame was placed on probation for one year, issued a $5,000 fine and handed a few recruiting visit restrictions for two separate recruiting violations, the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions announced Thursday.
The penalties stem from a former assistant coach’s impermissible contact with a Seattle-based recruit and head coach Brian Kelly impermissibly posing for a photo with a separate prospect.
The NCAA’s findings say the ex-assistant “met privately with the prospect at his high school before July 1 after the completion of his junior year of high school. During that meeting, the former assistant coach expressed the school’s interest in recruiting the prospect. The former assistant football coach also had exchanged impermissible text messages with another prospect on 10 occasions.”
Kelly’s photo with the recruit was deemed a Level III violation, the lowest kind in the NCAA’s penalty structure. The NCAA investigation found that “after initially declining a request, the head football coach impermissibly posed for a photo with another prospect while visiting the prospect’s high school during the fall evaluation period.”
The infractions for Notre Dame and the former assistant are Level II-mitigated penalties.
The full list of penalties, per the NCAA’s announcement:
• One year of probation.
• A $5,000 fine.
• A six-month show-cause order for the former assistant football coach, including a one-game suspension at any employing member school.
• Reduced football official visits for the 2020-21 academic year by one.
• Reduced football unofficial visits by 14 days for the 2020-21 academic year.
• A seven-day off-campus recruiting ban for the entire football staff during the 2020-21 academic year.
• The university ended the recruitment of the prospect.
• The university will not recruit any prospects from the high school in Seattle from the 2019-20 through 2021-22 academic years.
If certain penalties cannot be served during the designated year due to COVID-19 complications, they will carry over to the next academic year.
Probation itself does not include a bowl ban, but a violation of it could turn into one.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
#BlueAndGold #Notre #Dame #Fined #Put #Probation #Violating #NCAA #Recruiting #Rules